We entertained Ballygiblin last Sunday night in our 4th game in the div 3 hurling league and after a very good battle with a lively Ballygiblin side we came up just short in the end losing out by five points. We had some outstanding displays all through the match and time and time again Ballygiblin threatened to pull away but credit to our lads they battled very hard and kept plugging away with some excellent scores.

We had some outstanding points in the first half with Dave Twomey getting two top class points and playing very well during this half. At half time we trailed by two goals 2-5 to 0-5 but the second half was full of top quality hurling as both sides went all out for the win. We had some brilliant performances in the back line especially from Anthony Dennehy, Jason Dwyer, Charlie McCarthy, Brendan Hayes, and Niall Barry.


Our midfielders Brian O’Regan and Padraig Fitzgerald were putting a great shift and ran themselves to a stand still in the second half. We had some outstanding hurling played in the forward line and every time the ball went in it looked like we could get scores. Mick O’Donovan when moved to full forward was a hand full and fielded some great ball to set up scores and outside him Vincent Burke was excellent when on the ball.


We trailed for all of the second half but we got some brilliant goals form our lighting quick corner forwards when first substitute Eoin O’Reilly was on hand to billow an unstoppable shot to the net after a great ball into the square from Richard Burke and minutes later we were celebrating again when the alert and dangerous John Buckley was on hand to rattle the net from close range, this was Eoin and John’s first game in a while for the club and both lads done outstanding when called upon. (The bucks showed some great skill with his size 30 hurley).


We also had Anthony Chalke returning to the team after a long lay off with injury and he done very well in the first half. Our third goal came from a penalty from the stick of Niall Barry but unfortunately we just couldn’t get close enough to Ballygiblin who held out for a hard fought win. We have three games left to play against Buttevant, Killshannig and Killavullan and one win might see us make the semifinals.


Team: Jimmy Burke, Brendan Hayes, Richard Burke, Anthony Dennehy,  Jason Dwyer, Niall Barry(1-3), Charlie McCarthy, Brian O’Regan, Padraig Fitzgerald, Mick O’Donovan, Vincent Burke(0-2), Shaun Cronin, John Buckley(1-0), Dave Twomey(0-2), Anthony Chalke Subs: Eoin O’Reilly(1-0) for Anthony Chalke.
This entry was posted in Hurling, League, Match Reports. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s